Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Cheap but Cute

When I lived in Morningside Heights, I asked the landlord to paint my kitchen walls yellow. Bam! The paint was so bright that my roommates and I decided to tone it down by covering it up. We created a giant collage from wine bottle labels, all kinds, bright, dull, some with pictures of grapes or gorgeous sunlit landscapes. Some lured the eye with beautiful script while others were plain and square.

Once a month, we invited guests to a Sunday night dinner and asked them to bring wine. We carefully steamed off the labels, pasted them onto a giant piece of poster board, and remounted it on the wall next to the tall white metal cabinet. That collage was as beautiful as a japonaise box of costume jewelry I discovered when I was six.

Bright spots in a difficult world.

No comments:

Post a Comment