Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Up in the Bronx

From time to time, I go to the Bronx County Surrogate's Court to search for probated wills. Today, I brought along my camera to record some Art Deco gems. The Courthouse was completed in 1933, designed by Max Hausel and Joseph H. Freedlander. You can read more about it here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/resources/bronx_countycourt.shtml

My goal was to take pictures of details that interested me. You'll notice the stylized shield of the United States on the ornate metal wall, and a pudgy owl on the sculpture detail. I hope you enjoy these!

Metal panel to the right of the main entrance.
Notice the shield of the United States, rendered metalically.


Massive sculpture facing 161st Street; see detail below.

Detail: see center of photo above.

Back at the subway station,

I found a stunning example of modern Art Deco. Can you guess what this is?

It was a hot day but a happy trip. The Bronx holds many fine examples of modern architecture and I hope to bring you more photographs later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment